The smells that came from the kitchen during this cooking process are the best I've ever smelled. Sweet and spicy and sexy all at once.
8 thighs chicken
1-2 tbsp olive oil
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tsp turmeric
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp cinnamon
1 ½ tsp ground ginger
1 ½ tsp hot paprika
500 ml apple juice
500 ml chicken stock
250 g dried apricots
100 g whole peeled almonds
2 servings of cous cous (I used the Ainsley Harrior Spice Sensation Cous Cous)
1) In a heavy based flameproof casserole, lightly brown the chicken in the olive oil over a medium heat. Reduce the heat, add the onion and garlic and saute for 3-4 minutes.
(The lovely folks at Asda sent me thighs and drumsticks, despite the
fact thatI ordered only thighs)
2) Add the spices, cook for 2 minutes, then pour in the apple juice and stock to cover the meat. Bring to the boil and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3) Add the apricots and almonds and cook for a further 15 minutes until the chicken is tender and the liquid has reduced and thickened.
4) Before serving, stir in most of the herbs, keeping some as a garnish.
5) Put the cous cous in a bowl and cover with boiling water and cling film. Once all the water is absorbed, use a fork to fluff it up.
SERVE AND ENJOY!!