header text

no matter what the road block in life, a great recipe can get you back to the bright side

Saturday 2 April 2011

Chicken Tagine with Almonds and Apricots

I've only made tagine once before and I thought it was too sweet a recipe, but that also might have been due to the fact that I put more honey in then it asked for. Since getting my Le Creuset I've been looking for more and more recipes that I can use it for and tagine are great for this! Again, despite the fact that was a big recipe, I only managed to fill it half way. 


The smells that came from the kitchen during this cooking process are the best I've ever smelled. Sweet and spicy and sexy all at once. 



Ingredients:



8 thighs chicken
1-2 tbsp olive oil
2 onions
2 cloves garlic, crushed
pinch saffron
1 tsp turmeric
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp cinnamon
1 ½ tsp ground ginger
1 ½ tsp hot paprika
500 ml apple juice
500 ml chicken stock
250 g dried apricots
100 g whole peeled almonds
bunch mint
bunch parsley
2 servings of cous cous (I used the Ainsley Harrior Spice Sensation Cous Cous)

 Method:

1) In a heavy based flameproof casserole, lightly brown the chicken in the olive oil over a medium heat. Reduce the heat, add the onion and garlic and saute for 3-4 minutes. 

 (The lovely folks at Asda sent me thighs and drumsticks, despite the
 fact that I ordered only thighs)


2) Add the spices, cook for 2 minutes, then pour in the apple juice and stock to cover the meat. Bring to the boil and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. 




3) Add the apricots and almonds and cook for a further 15 minutes until the chicken is tender and the liquid  has reduced and thickened. 




4) Before serving, stir in most of the herbs, keeping some as a garnish.

5) Put the cous cous in a bowl and cover with boiling water and cling film. Once all the water is absorbed, use a fork to fluff it up.

SERVE AND ENJOY!!











x

No comments: