header text

no matter what the road block in life, a great recipe can get you back to the bright side

Wednesday 22 June 2011

Chorizo and Sweet Potato Dumplings

If you regularly read my blog (or are a newbie and read backwards) you will remember in my post where I took a trip to Canada (I'm a baaaaaaaaack and I have food to talk about!) that I mentioned a lovely country pub that I went to with Justin's dad. When I was there I had some lovely dumplings and I told myself that I would have to figure out how to make them!


They were fried ravioli filled with sweet potato, chorizo and spinach (and what else I'm not sure!). So here is my dumpling experiment!!!!


Ingredients:
1 pack of defrosted filo
2-3 sweet potatoes depending on the size
one chorizo (Already cooked)
about 1/2 cup of wilted spinach (I buy the frozen stuff that's already portioned out, it's two of those portions. 
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp oregano
salt and pepper to taste



Method to my madness:

1) Peel and chop the sweet potato into tiny pieces (it will cook faster this way). Roast it in the oven (you could also boil or steam it but I wanted that roasted flavour added) until soft then take it out and mash it. 


happy potatoes!



2) While the sweet potato is roasting, chop the chorizo really small and also wilt the spinach. 






3) Once the potatoes are cooked and mashed mix in the chorizo, spinach, cumin, oregano and salt/pepper. 



4) Take the filo out of the pack and take out one sheet. Spray the sheet with cooking spray then add a second layer on top so you have two layers for each dumpling. Cut the filo into 8 equal squares ready to be filled. Continue this until you are out of sheets.





5) Take about 1 tbsp of the mix and place it in the middle of the sheet. 

6) Wet two ends of the filo with water and then fold it over into a triangle.


7) Then wet the two ends of the triangle and bring them back and pinch them together to look like ravioli.


8) What they should look like when they're done.

they got better as i went on!


9) Fill a pot with the oil of your choice and put the dumplings in until they are golden brown. This won't take long because the filling is already cooked. 


10) The finished product! I served it with a shredded celery and onion salad with a simple vinaigrette.


I don't think you need a sauce with this as they are pretty darn tasty! I put some chipotle oil on the side for dipping but it wasn't necessary!






I hope you enjoy!


P.S. Come back later in the week as I'm finally going to attempt to make homemade cabbage rolls!!!


x


Linked:
33 Shades of Green - Tasty Tuesdays
The Kings Court IV
Peas and Crayons
This Chick Cooks


No comments: