header text

no matter what the road block in life, a great recipe can get you back to the bright side

Sunday 24 July 2011

Sweet, spice and without a doubt nice!!

Nom Nom Nom, I love the combination of sweet and spicy together. I love chillies with sweet potatoes or squash and coriander, lovely combos!

This recipe brings together butternut squash and jalapenos for a lovely kick!!
This is an absolutely easy peasey lemon squeezey recipe, well.... without any lemon!

If you take a look at my blog you'll see that I have a bit of an addiction to butternut squash, so any new way that I can use squash is always great for me!

Ingredients:
1 butternut squash
1 white onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 jalapeno, or if like me you couldn't get your hands on fresh, about tbsp of the ones from the jar, minced up.
1 green chilli chopped
cheese of your choice - i mixed together mozza and this 'mexicana' cheese you can  buy here - it has jalapenos in it for that extra kick!
fajita wraps

Method to the madness:

1) You'll first have to cook the squash. Now if you have patience and aren't already starving before you start to cook then use the following method. Cut the squash in half, take out the seeds, then cut into wedges. Mix with some oil and roast in the oven for about 20-25 mins until soft. Take it out and let it cool and take the skin off. I didn't have said patience, so I did the gruelling work of peeling it before hand (be careful, it is extremely easy to cut yourself!) Then I chopped it into half inch cubes and roasted it for about 20 mins.
I can eat squash just like this, like popcorn!!

2) Then pour a little oil in a pan and start to cook off your onions, after about a minute add the garlic, chilli and jalapenos. Cook until the onion is translucent then add in the squash. Cook this down until the squash is well soft!


3) Then take your fajita wraps and fill them down the middle of the wrap. Top with your cheese. Then roll the wrap over itself once. Put these in a pan and toast each side until just golden brown.




4) Take them out, and enjoy!!! hmmmm spicey gooey deliciousness!!!!





Linked:
Savory Sundays-The Sweet Details

1 comment:

Grandma Bonnie said...

This looks so good. I love to try vegetables in a new way. This is a keeper. Thanks for the recipe.
New follower from Savory Sunday.