header text

no matter what the road block in life, a great recipe can get you back to the bright side

Tuesday 9 August 2011

Creamy Oreo Cheescake (no-bake)

First I must apologise for the lack of posts as of late. I have been prepping for a couple arts and crafts markets where I sell my own handcrafted jewellery. No new markets soon so I can now devote time to the blog again! If you're interested in jewellery check out my facebook page *delightfully different*, my Folksy shop will be updated soon! Thanks! x


I came across this delicious recipe whilst perusing Food Gawker and absolutely loved the idea! It's originally from the Bakers Royal blog.


I know I've joked about it before, but this time I just about tore my arm off trying to whip the cream for this recipe!! Lesson.never.learned.

We were having some friends over a delicious raclette dinner, and I thought that a nice light dessert would be the perfect end to a two hour raclette feast!


So here we go!


Ingredients:


Crust
1 1/2 cups of crushed biscuits - I used digestive biscuits
1/4 cup of packed light brown sugar
7 tbsp of unsalted butter (melted)

**Update** - I've just made this again but I've altered the crust and enjoyed it loads more! I used about 320g of crushed oreos and 20-30g of crushed digestives with 3-4 tbsp of melted butter (until it combines when pushed together). I then baked it in the oven at about 160 degrees for 10 mins. Let it cool before putting the cheesecake mix below in. I preferred this base much more to the digestive only biscuit base that I have made previously. 


Cheesecake
2 1/4 cups of heavy cream
1 pound/450 g of cream cheese, softened
2/3 cup of sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbsp of lemon juice
2 tsp vanilla powder - The blog author suggests to use this instead of vanilla extract because it will discolour the cheesecake. I didn't find this to be a problem, my cake was still white, except for the oreos and vanilla seeds from my vanilla extract.
3/4 cup of Oreo Cookies, crushed


Instructions:
Crust:
1. Combine graham cracker crumbs with sugar.


2. Add melted butter and blend until combined.
3. Press into pan. Set aside.

Cheesecake:

1. Beat heavy cream until medium peaks form. Set aside. This stage just about killed me!! Do not think that you can do this by hand, it will take FOREVER!! I really need to invest in an electric whisk!
I was whisking so hard the picture was blurry!!

10 Minutes later.....realising this is NOT working!

Dug this contraption out of the drawer. Still took forever and about destroyed my biceps but worked eventually!
2. Add cream cheese, sugar, salt, vanilla powder, lemon juice to a bowl and beat with a paddle attachment until smooth (approximately 3-5 mins). If you do not have a stand mixer or a paddle attachment then go for manual labour!
My cream cheese was nice and soft so beating this was much easier with just a wooden spoon!
3. Add cream cheese mixture to heavy cream and beat until incorporated.
4. Gently fold in Oreo cookies.
At this point, you could just sit there and eat this out of the bowl!
5. Fill chosen pan with a slight mound at the center, as the cheesecake will become slightly sunken at the center. Decorate as desired!
6. Refrigerate for at least 6 hours to set or overnight for best results. 
The finished product!

I made everyone pose with the cake! Thanks guys! :)


Enjoy!

No comments: