header text

no matter what the road block in life, a great recipe can get you back to the bright side

Tuesday 19 July 2011

Raspberry, Mango, Avocado Salad

So I came across this great site called Eating Well last week and I rifled through their recipe database. I made the Green Salad with Strawberries and Goats Cheese last night (sorry no pics!) and it was absolutely fabulous so I decided to try another one of their recipes. I've actually gone and picked out one recipe for each night this week, and if they're anything like what I've already had I'm super excited!!

So without further ado....here's the super yummy Raspberry, Mango and Avocado Salad from tonight!


Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups fresh raspberries, divided  
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 cup red-wine vinegar
1 small clove garlic, coarsely chopped
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
8 cups mixed salad greens
1 ripe mango, diced 
1 small ripe avocado, diced
1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion
1/4 cup toasted chopped hazelnuts, or sliced almonds 


Method to the madness:
1. Puree 1/2 cup raspberries (I used about a cup because I LOVE raspberries!), oil, vinegar, garlic, salt and pepper in a blender until combined.
My TASTY raspberries!
2. Combine greens, mango, avocado and onion in a large bowl. Pour the dressing on top and gently toss to coat.
My bag of mixed greens - baby spinach, cress and rocket.

Little purple rainbows

My unfortunately not ripe enough mango but still tasty!

Waiting for the dressing now...

Close up of my colourful salad!

The thick dressing because I insisted on more raspberries. I assume it should like more
like a vinaigrette then a smoothie :)

The final product nom nom nom!!
Divide the salad among 5 salad plates (if a side salad, or do like we did and have that only for dinner and have a massive plate each!). Top each with the remaining raspberries and sprinkle with nuts, if using. I mixed the nuts in with the dressing because I wanted them to be coated also!

Also, because it's a healthy option, here's the nutritional value:
Per serving : 215 Calories; 16 g Fat; 2 g Sat; 12 g Mono; 0 mg Cholesterol; 18 g Carbohydrates; 3 g Protein; 7 g Fiber;
122 mg Sodium; 564 mg Potassium
1 Carbohydrate Serving









No comments: