header text

no matter what the road block in life, a great recipe can get you back to the bright side

Sunday 15 April 2012

Healthy-ish Hangover Hash


I've realised since I have been back at work I have been slacking a bit on the blog. To be honest I've been spending the last month building a new website at work so I haven't spent much time properly in front of the computer on my time off except to do more mindless tasks like reading ebooks, watching movies and my new addiction drawsomething.

But I also haven't been doing to much cooking of exciting things either. So I thought I would ease back into it slowly with a simple throw together breakfast that I made this Saturday after a night in the pub.


So I decided to throw together a hearty breakfast/brunch with whatever I could find in the house. I say this is healthy-ish because it did contain some cheese and butter, but I also dug out some veggie sausages from the freezer which is healthier then meaty ones....so that made me feel better about it!

Food stuffs required:
For the hash----
2-3 Potatoes
Half a red onion
1 garlic clove
Sausages of your choosing - I went with some Mediterranean veggies sausages because that's what we had
Seasoning of your choice (I used salt, pepper, paprika, and chipotle chilli oil)

For the mozza scrambled eggs--
4 eggs
Handful of grated mozzarella
Salt and pepper

Optional- toast

Method to the madness:

1) peel and chop the potatoes into small cubes. Then boil them in water until they are a little soft, but not falling apart.




2) while the potatoes were boiling I also chose to boil my sausages to pre-cook them. This was partly because they were frozen and partly because they would be easier to cut later and not fall apart to bits. Following pictures are me boiling and chopping the sausages.











3) when the potatoes are sufficiently par-boiled, strain out the water and run them under the tap for a little bit to cook and get the extra starchy bits off of them.



4) Then chop your onion and mince your garlic and warm some butter/oil in your pans. Once the butter starts to melt throw the onion and garlic in and let them sweat for about 2 mins. Also crack your eggs in a bowl, season and whisk.













5) Then throw the potatoes into the pan with the onions and garlic, and start warming up the pan for your scrambled eggs. Also at this point, throw in any extra seasoning with the potatoes. As I mentioned I added some chipotle oil to give it a zing!









6) After mixing in all your spices, then throw the chopped sausage in and let everything brown a little. Then throw your eggs in the second pan, let them sit for a bit, then whisk frantically (heehee) until almost cooked. When they are almost done throw in the mozza, stir it up a little, then turn off the heat and let it stay warm.









7) give the hash a little stir, but don't forget to put your toast down, I almost did!




8) then all you have to do is plate up and enjoy your Healthy-ish Hangover Hash!








x

No comments: