Yum yum yum, you get the instant orange kick and the flavour just intensifies as you continue to eat! I must point out the importance of reading a recipe properly. I accidentally read '2 cups' of stock as opposed to 2 pints/5 cups, so it was thicker than it should have been, but still tasted heavenly.
What you need:
- 25g/ 2tbsp butter
- 2 leeks thinly sliced
- 450g/1lbs carrot sliced
- 2 pints/5 cups veggie stock
- zest and juice of two oranges
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 150 ml/2/3 cup of plain greek yogurt
- salt and pepper
1) Melt the butter in a large non-stick pan. Add the leeks and carrots and stir well, lightly coating the veg in butter. Cover and cook for about 10 minutes, until the veg is soft making sure not to brown.
2) Pour in the stock and the orange juice and zest. Add the nutmeg and season to taste with salt and pepper. Bring to the boil then reduce the heat, cover and simmer for about 40 minutes or until the veg is tender.
3) Leave to cool slightly, then process in a blender or food processor until smooth. I also put some lovely lemon rapeseed oil on some pitas and put them under the grill to go with the tangy soup.
4) Return the soup to the pot and add 2 -3 tbsp of yogurt and adjust seasoning to taste. Reheat and stir gently.
5) Ladle the soup into warm bowls and put a swirl of yogurt on top.