header text

no matter what the road block in life, a great recipe can get you back to the bright side

Tuesday 11 October 2011

Chocolate PumpkinPumpkin Cake

You read that correctly! It's supposed to say PumpkinPumpkin!

But first... Happy Thanksgiving Canada! Sorry I'm a day late, that's what happens when you live in a country that doesn't pay tribute to this day and life gets in the way. After a stressful week nothing beats a good bake!

I didn't make a turkey dinner, in fact instead I made my family pancake recipe and we ate it with pure Canadian Maple syrup. Good substitute in my books!

So back to the PumpkinPumpkin.
I was intrigued by two separate pictures that I came across online. In one picture was a pumpkin cake made simply out of two ingredients, Betty Crocker (or other brand) white cake mix, and a can of pumpkin puree. That's it! You see all the other stuff you mix with the cake mix is really just to add moisture, you could substitute anything, heck even mashed banana or apple sauce would do the trick. So why not pumpkin puree?  The second picture was a cake made to look like a pumpkin. So I thought, why not do both???

So I did...

Ingredients



  • 2 cake mix boxes (the original suggestion was to use white/yellow cake mix, I couldn't get one so I bought chocolate!)
  • 2 cans of pumpkin puree - or homemade will do just fine!
  • 1 container of vanilla icing
  • orange food colouring (or mix yellow and red which is what I did)
  • chocolate chunks
  • 2 tbsp of milk
  • butter (for greasing the bundt pan)
  • 2 bundt pans

Method to the madness

*Note* - I give directions below for putting it all in a oner, I did mine in two batches since I only have one bundt.

1) Pour the cake mix into a bowl.

2) Pour the pumpkin puree in the bowl. Mix that stuff up!

3) Now the original recipe claims that is enough, but I thought the batter was still a bit too thick so I added 2 tbsp of milk (one for each batch basically). Mix that up!

4) Toss in the chocolate chunks! Mix that up!

5) Pour the batter between two bundt cake pans, or like me you pour in half, then do the second cake after the other one has cooled. Try to smooth out the top as flat as possible for stacking later. Bake them to the instructions on the box.

6) While they are baking mix your food colouring with your icing.

7) After you have let them cool flip one of the cakes up so that the flat side if facing up. Put some plain white icing on the top. 

Like giant donuts....


8) Flip your other cake over so that you can place it's flat side on top of the other cake. 
Pre-flipped

Post Flipped

mmm like a cake sandwich!

9) Ice that with the orange icing (fondant icing rolled out would have looked a lot more realistic then the store bought icing, but this was quicker and easier). 
Doesn't REALLY look like a pumpkin...but I tried!

10) Eat!!!




Enjoy!


Linked to:
33 Shades of Green



No comments: