header text

no matter what the road block in life, a great recipe can get you back to the bright side

Tuesday 8 January 2013

Chickpea Curry....drooool

I absolutely love this recipe!

Why? Because it's tasty, easy, and versatile!

I have been making this recipe (or versions) for years, and I'm not sure why I haven't put it on the blog until now.  I'm putting it up partly because I wanted to share it with all of you lovely foodies, but also because when ever I forget one of the ingredients....I'll know where to find the base recipe!!

main ingredients


So just to be clear I am not claiming this is authentic by any means! And based on the base ingredients I call it a curry... :)

I mentioned that one of the reasons I love this recipe is because it's versatile. One of the great things about making a curry from scratch is because you can control just how hot you want it to be. You can do this using varying types of curry powder, or you can spice things up by adding fresh chillies of your choosing!

It's also versatile because you can add and subtract ingredients. I usually cook this with prawns, but I have also done it without and also done it with chicken for a friend who wasn't a fan of prawns.  You could also add spinach to this recipe and it would work quite well.

I have also used new potatoes instead of large baking potatoes and sweet potatoes. I imagine you could even sub potatoes for butternut squash or pumpkin!

You can also adjust the creaminess of this curry by adding more coconut milk. If I wanted a drier curry like I've done tonight, I use only 1 tin of coconut milk, for a creamier version I have sometimes been known to use two (but in this instance I do try to use light coconut milk).

I'll stop babbling now and get down to tastiness! This makes about 3-4 servings depending on your hunger levels.

Ingredients:
1 can (400g) of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 can of coconut milk (or 2 if you want it creamier!)
2 small tomatoes cut into wedges
2 small-medium potatoes cut into cubes
2-3 cloves of garlic, minced
1 tsp of coriander powder or 3 coriander roots chopped
1 tsp ground black pepper
1-2 tbsp of curry powder (I tend to use 1 tbsp of hot and 1 tbsp of medium)
2 tbsp light soy sauce
1 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
large handful of fresh basil, chopped
200 g prawns, butterflied
olive oil

to serve: rice of your choosing, naan

Method to the madness:
1. Chop up everything that needs chopping and put it to one side. Drain and rinse your chickpeas. Whether you have bought pre-cooked or fresh prawns...I like to butterfly them, but also you need to make sure they have been deveined! It's not going to kill you but you really don't want to eat that, so cut alongside and discard that poop shoot!


get rid of that intestinal track!


2. Grab a mortar and pestle, put a half a tsp of olive oil in, along with the minced garlic, pepper and coriander. Give it a good grinding until it becomes a paste.



3. Now you want to heat 1.5 tbsp of oil in a pan and add the paste you just created. Let that cook for about 2 minutes and then add in the coconut milk. Stir well to make sure it's well blended.


4. Then you want to go ahead and bung in everything else (except the prawns). So start by putting in the chickpeas, potatoes and tomatoes. Then add in the curry powder, salt, sugar, soy sauce and basil and give it a good stir. Then put the lid on and let it simmer on low-medium heat for 20-30 mins (until potatoes are soft).





5. Whilst this is simmering, open the lid to stir it every now and then. Also cook your rice according the pack.

6. After about 20-25 mins you potatoes should be soft, this is the point at which you want to put your prawns in to cook/heat through. If you have naan you will also want to sprinkle them with water and put them in the oven now. Let the prawns cook for a couple mins (not too long if pre-cooked or they will be rubbery!).


7. Once everything is ready, plate up and enjoy!




If you have any other ways to adjust this recipe let me know! If you try it, let me know!

If you have any recipes you want me to try, or if there's some food you want to know more about but you just can't be bothered to look it up...let me know and I'll give it a go! :)



Enjoy!




x




Linked: 33 Shades of Green

No comments: