header text

no matter what the road block in life, a great recipe can get you back to the bright side

Sunday 6 January 2013

Sausage Kale Bowl o' Deliciousness

So I first had this tasty dish a few years ago when the wonderful Sarah cooked it for me at hers. I don't know where she got it from (possible Smitten Kitchen??) but it's absolutely scrummy! I've adapted it slightly given that I can't recall what spices go into it...and sometimes I change it up a little, but the recipe below is one I think works quite well!


I love this recipe because it's really simple and quick to make, and relatively healthy....It's also really easy to adjust the portion sizes without being too overly complicated.

Ingredients: (about two servings, maybe 3 dependent on accompaniments)
1 pack of sausage, cut into meatball size pieces --- (this time I used pork and sweet chilli - usually use smokey or leek) --- I have also made this recipe with vegetarian Mediterranean sausages!
1 tin of chickpeas, drained and rinsed with water
1 pack of kale (here I used curly kale, you could also use cabbage or even shredded sprouts)
pepper to taste
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp paprika
splash of beer or white wine (no more than 1/2 cup)
parmesan to finish
sourdough loaf on the side

Method to the madness:

1. Heat 2 tbsp of oil in a pan (I used my yummy chilli/garlic oil). Put the cut up sausage in the pan, and once rinsed add the chickpeas in as well.







2. Add a pinch of pepper, the cumin, garlic powder and paprika and mix everything up in the pan.




3. Once the chickpeas and sausage have started to brown, this is when you want to add the kale. Then add the splash of beer or white wine to prevent the kale from drying out and give it a stir.  Let that cook for about 3 mins.



add the splash and drink the rest!!



4. Spoon the sausage-kale mix onto plates or into bowls, sprinkle grated parmesan cheese on top and serve with fresh bread!




Enjoy my lovies!!



x

No comments: